Saturday, January 23, 2010

Toenails are bruising under the nail?

Now, I don't want any help on how to treat it by releasing the blood, blah blah blah, lol...I live alone right now (man is overseas), and I'm not really feeling much pain in my toes, even when this started--sure it hurt--but not worse than anything else my toes have experienced my entire life.





1) walked about 6 miles in 1 day in shoes I've had for some time now


2) bruises appeared on the right and left side of my right and left feet, respectively (right side of right toe, left side of left toe) at the base and migrating up the nail (so it almost looks like a *black* diagonal now on both nails)


3) the pain went away remarkably (kept off my feet :) within about 3 days, it still hurt a little after, but not nearly that bad. (hence no reason to relieve pressure to the site)





Now...I go to the doc (ER) a week and a half after the ';trauma'; if you could call walking in sneakers ';trauma'; for a lightweight 26 yr old petite person, and all he found was a potassium deficiency, which does not align with the symptoms (also have been having bad bleeding gums, blood taste in my mouth when I wake up--no oral sores, just my mouth is bleeding? and also bad headaches, especially when I lay on my stomach, move quickly lower my head like when I'm picking something up)...easily injuring myself as well, though things heal with minimal use, I'm used to using my arms and legs for daily activities. I'm not 80 yrs old or anything!





So, I'm not asking if anyone else has experienced this, my feet are beautiful other than the trauma--no fungus or anything, so I'm not worried about that, and the sick sick photos online of people with toe fungus to relate to what's wrong with my toes just don't match up or relate. I cannot relate to foot fungus. I am worried something underlying is causing this, i have run 12 miles a day in these sneakers in my past and never had a problem like this before.





the doctor said it's ';trauma'; (but from walking?) but then set up a referral for a regular doc. I don't know what to think.





So that's the question: does anyone know what underlying condition might appear to be potassium deficiency and be something else? It's really not likely to be rheumatoid arthritis, as the bloodwork came back good for everything else (kidneys, liver, cbc, etc).





Thanks!


Toenails are bruising under the nail?
You're not taking like aspirin or ibuprofen are you? Those pills will thin your blood, which may be the cause of the bleeding gums and bruises on your toe and side of your foot. If you are taking them, stop. Trauma from walking, no, but trauma from running yes. Shoes do wear out so maybe you need a new pair. And you would be better off doing a fast pace walk than running. If you just have bruises, your body will eventually absorb it. Soaking your foot in hot water with some Epsom Salt will help that procedure along. If it doesn't go away soon, best if you do have it checked out by your family Doctor. Best to you young lady.Toenails are bruising under the nail?
Something similar happened to me too, and really the only thing you can do is wait for it to fall off...which it will....and its not bruising its dried blood thats stuck under there

No comments:

Post a Comment