Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blood under my puppy's toenails?

I have a 4 month Pit/American bulldog. I just noticed yesterday that she seems to have blood under her toenails on her front paws only at the base of the nail (not the part that you trim). It is like right where the skin begins to cover the nail and it is not present on her back nails at all. I've been trimming her nails regularly since we got her so thats all up to date. She's been going to doggie day care and dog parks a lot so maybe she's just running around too much? Just wondering if anyone knew anything about this. Thanks.Blood under my puppy's toenails?
My dogs sometimes get abrasions on their paw pads from concrete. They get really excited when we go on walks sometimes and walk so fast that one of the pads on their paws will scrape and start to bleed.


I bought something called ';Musher's Secret'; and it's a wax balm you apply to the pads before going out. It applies a protective barrier to the paws and keeps them from getting scraped or raw. It's worked really well so far. It also said that it protects the paws from snow, salt, hot cement, and other irritants.


I bought it at an online pet supplies retailer.Blood under my puppy's toenails?
Maybe she could have stepped on something sharp when you took her out to the park. Maybe there's a piece of glass or something lodged up there. But if she's okay and doesn't seem to be bothered by it then I guess just wait and see what happens.





Good Luck
Dogs have blood veins in their nails, called a ';quick';. If the nails are a light color, the veins will be visible through the nail.





My guess - are her front nails light and her back nails black? If so, the veins are in the back paws as well, but because of the dark color of the nails themselves, they are unable to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment